Monday, May 5, 2014

Hello, All --

Not much news today, but here are some random pictures from our week . . . 

To start with, we had to go to the Aduana (the Bolivian Customs office) to try and retrieve 2 boxes of vitamins/supplements we had ordered from the U.S.  Each box weighed more than 5 pounds; therefore, we had to pay taxes and customs fees.  This was the only office (out of 3) that I dared take a picture of, because I didn't want the officials to see me doing it.  The full-time elders from the Cochabamba Mission Office went with us. They are registered to pick up parcels all the time.  We could not pick up ours without registering, and we couldn't register because we didn't have a receipt showing we pay rent and utilities here!  (Our rent is paid directly to the Missionary Department in Salt Lake City, and the utilities are included.)  So . . . the elders went with us (the second time) and helped us get the packages.  The boxes arrived in Bolivia on April 21; we finally got them on May 2nd.  ¡Asi es Bolivia!

We went to lunch with President and Sister Jensen at the Cine Center one day.
We saw this cute little boy and his sister.  Farron says that's an Iron Man costume, right?
Obviously the new Spiderman movie is playing at the Cine Center.

On the way home we passed this hotel,
called (appropriately) Hotel Azul (the Blue Hotel).
We pass it every week on our way home from church.
It fascinates me because it's SO BLUE.

Saturday night after we were finished at the temple,
we went to "Beef and Buns" with the Chalmers (on the left) and the Hursts (on the right).
Both couples are leaving for home this month.

This is what we saw as we got off the bus, coming home, and walked to the temple gate.
If you look closely, you can read the words on the sign.

We were waiting for the bus one day this week,
and noticed these poor jacaranda trees which have been trimmed to avoid the power lines.
They've been desecrated, actually.
Don't you feel sorry for them, chopped to pieces like that, and leaning to one side?

But the surprising thing to me, was the way the new growth is growing straight up 
from those horizontal branches.  Can you see what I mean?
I can't help but wonder if eventually the new growth will be so heavy
the whole tree will fall into the street.

That same day we went and got haircuts.
This flower was growing in a neglected planter in front of the shop.
I don't know what it is, but I think it's beautiful.



And right next door in front of the little pharmacy
was this gorgeous lily of some kind (at least I think that's what it is).
The flowers are so huge I was sure it was a fake,
but it's not!

Here's a closeup.
Isn't it gorgeous?


Lastly - and sadly - the Hursts left for home (Bonners Ferry, Idaho)
yesterday afternoon.  They have been a real blessing to all of us and we will MISS them!
(President and Sister Jensen on the right; the Hursts on the left.)

Okay, that's all for today.  Have a happy, healthy, safe week . . . y vayan con Dios!

3 comments:

  1. The white flower is a plumeria (or frangipani...or ??? in Spanish), and the red one is an amaryllis. I agree - they're both beautiful! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And because I just learned something new, I'll share it: when I see plumerias I totally think of Hawaii, but they're actually indigenous to Central and South America. They usually smell really good (I think). Oh, and they're related to Oleander, so the sap can irritate the skin. ¡No toques! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracias para la informacion! I didn't recognize the plumeria, although Roselyne Shutts has some in her backyard and used to wear one to work occasionally in her hair. You are right, they smell WONDERFUL. Hers are yellow; maybe that's why I didn't recognize them. I should have recognized the amaryllis, but it was so huge I wasn't sure it was the same thing as the flowers I had seen in the States. Thanks for letting us know. By the way, I will do this week's blog this afternoon (5/13/14).

    ReplyDelete